Reflections on 70% of a Semester - by Jordan


Now that I'm just two weeks away from finishing my first semester of freshman year, I've learned a few things, things that I wish I would have known just a few months ago when I left for Auburn University. With a little freshman wisdom, here's my advice for you.
  1. Organization and cleanliness are key! I'm really glad that I have had an organized, color-coded notebook and folder for each class. It makes organization so much easier, and I love having all of my notes in one place rather than flipping through a giant five-subject notebook. I am constantly using my agenda, not only to mark down important deadlines but to plan the rest of my day. Time-blocking is an important time-management strategy to plan your work, so that you can maximize your free time. I've also noticed that having a clean room and study environment makes me feel more relaxed and less stressed.
  2. Get involved! I'm really glad I took a big leap of faith to join Greek life and a social sorority the week before school started. It's been a lot of time, but I'm really happy and excited to be part of something bigger than myself. However, I do have one word of caution: don't get too involved! One of my friends is overloading herself with extra-curriculars, and she has complained to me on a few occasions that her grades are slipping, and she doesn't have as much free time. I would say get involved, but limit your involvement to one social extra-curricular and one community service extra-curricular. I'm now on the committee for the Big Event, Auburn's huge community outreach day, and I know that our pre-planning for this wonderful activity will bring such a sense of fulfillment, knowing that I have helped others, even in a simple way.
  3. Make new friends, AND keep the old! I'm really glad there are technologies like Facebook to keep me updated on all of my friends from back home, as well as my Distinguished Young Women sisters! It's been so fun to see everyone's college journeys unfold, and to be able to message my friends every once in a while. It's also really important to make new friends on campus. Hang out in your dorm lobby and meet the people you share a building with. Chat someone up while you're in line at the salad bar. Join up with your friends after your club meeting and go see a movie or grab some fro-yo! It's important to make connections with others, it will make your college life that much more enjoyable.
That's all I have for now! I'm looking forward to seeing my family for the first time since August! Thanksgiving break is finally here!

Have an awesome holiday!

Jordan Orris is a college freshman at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphasis on Marketing and Convergence Journalism. Originally from Henderson, Nevada, Jordan was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Nevada for 2012. Learn more about Julia here!