5 Quick Tips After One Fast Semester - by Keyna


Having just finished my first semester of college, I decided to compile a small list of things that have helped me out!

1. Don't Procrastinate. 

I'm not going to lie, this is definitely advice that I need to take. I have a huge tendency to leave things to the very last minute, and this can get to be very stressful! It is way better to get homework and projects done ahead of time and not pull all-nighters in order to get them done on time. Believe me. It is really difficult to take dance classes after staying up all night! You will thank yourself for all the free time you'll have after doing your work early. 

2. Take time for yourself.

It is so important to make sure to take time to yourself! Take a break from the stress of the day, even if it is just for five minutes, and relax. Listen to music, just breathe, watch a movie, or my personal favorite, take a nap! School can be overwhelming sometimes, so it can be really helpful to just take a step back and relax or treat yourself!

3. Step outside of your comfort zone. Don't be SHY!

Let's face it. We all want to be included and have friends, but sometimes it can be hard to put yourself out there. I am super shy when I am meeting new people, so it can be hard to make new friends. But, when you go to college, everyone is looking to meet people and make new friends so join in! No one wants to be the girl who spends every weekend alone in her dorm room. Introduce yourself to new people, join a club or organization, or audition for a show. You will definitely meet some incredible people!

4. Take weigh-ins seriously...but not TOO seriously. 

Yes, I have to weigh-in for my major. It can be stressful whether or not you're going be at your "recommended" weight, so some people do crazy things to make weight, such as basically starving themselves the week before weigh-ins. Weight is NOT everything! You are beautiful because of who you are on the inside, not because of how much you weigh. Eat in a way to stay healthy--plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, balance, etc..--the whole semester to avoid the need to do crazy things to make weight. 

5. Fro-yo with friends is fantastic!

Even dancers need to treat themselves every now and then! Frozen yogurt restaurants are a great place to hang out while enjoying delicious treats. I have had some of the most fun socializing with new friends at the local frozen yogurt bar! Yum!

I have had a wonderful first semester full of incredible new friends. I am so blessed to be able to go to school for dance and pursue my dreams of performing, all while meeting and working with so many amazing and inspiring people! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Keyna Hoselton is a college freshman at Oklahoma City University in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma majoring in Dance Performance with a possible minor in History. Originally from Fargo, North Dakota, Keyna was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of North Dakota for 2012. Learn more about Keyna here!