Maxed Out - by Carly

    

     At the end of the semester, the word on the tip of everyone’s tongue is stress.  Just last night I was surrounded by books and study buddies, and we were all nervous for the biology exam in the morning-7:30AM no less!  We sat there crunching numbers trying to determine the lowest possible grade we could get on the final to maintain the grades we had labored over all semester.  At two in the morning, we all finally looked at each other and just started laughing.  Those giggles turned into tears of stress, exhaustion, and pure insanity (it was 2 in the morning!).  After our outburst, we seemed to have things under control and went to bed.  About four hours later it was time to wake up and take on the day we had stressed about.  The test was not as difficult as anticipated, but was that late night studying really worth it?  Was the anxiety necessary to grasp the concepts in thirty chapters of ecology, evolution, and animal phylums? 

     It is now one in the afternoon, my test is complete, and I have arrived home, for Elizabethtown is only an hour from my town.  I’m lying in my backyard sipping on a Capri Sun and soaking up the long anticipated rays of summer.  So was it worth it?  I can honestly say that the late night cram session was not worth it.  One exam is not going to determine the success of my future, but it can ruin life’s precious moments.  I missed out on my last night with my new family all for a test.  My mind was maxed out with endless vocabulary and concepts.  I wish it had been maxed out with the love of my friends and one last night of adventure. 

     Every day I try to remind myself of the truly important things in life, and an exam is not at the top of the list!  It is so easy to get wrapped up in the day to day rhythms of life, but taking a minute to soak up the beauty around you makes things just a little bit sweeter.  To everyone stressed out with the busy weeks of spring time, remember that it all works out in the end.  You will survive and come out stronger than before.  Stay strong, and enjoy each day, for it is truly a special gift.


 Carly Henry is a college freshman at Elizabethtown College in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania majoring in biochemistry with a minor is business. Originally from York, Pennsylvania, Carly was a participant in the Distinguished Young Women program and was selected as the Distinguished Young Woman of Pennsylvania for 2012. Learn more about Carly here!