Get to Know Kelsey Quin - Distinguished Young Woman of Indiana for 2011

Name: Kelsey Quin
Age: 19
Hometown: Peru, Indiana (parents house) /West Lafayette, Indiana (apartment)
College: Purdue University
Major: General Health, Pre-med concentration



Favorite TV show: GLEE!
Favorite movie: Tie between Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Despicable Me, and Tangled
Favorite Christmas/holiday tradition: My mom has this story that we’re related to elves, so every Christmas Eve when we come home from Christmas mass, the elves have left us a pair of Christmas pajamas that we all wear and take a picture in the next morning (with Christmas music blaring).
Favorite quote: “Fairytales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” G.K. Chesterton
Most hated household chore: Dishes... so gross.
 
Plan ahead OR procrastinate? I like to plan ahead, but on homework, I am the biggest procrastinator.
Paper OR plastic
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty
Introvert OR extrovert
Cats OR Dogs  (Why are these so hard?)
Morning person OR night person

What is your most embarrassing moment? Well, once upon a time two of my good friends had a bad day. We went to the one friend’s house, but they were both still acting grumpy. I wasn’t grumpy and said, let’s sing and dance to cheer you guys up! So we put on ridiculous outfits of cowboy hats, matching black shirts, crazy colored shorts, and her mom’s too-big, high-heeled boots. Guitar Hero had just came out, so we grabbed the guitar and two microphones from her karaoke machine. We turned “I Love Rocking Roll” up as loud as possible, and sang and danced to the whole thing; at the end we struck a pose and threw our cowboy hats. Then we heard the doorbell. So we quickly shimmied out of the boots and hid the microphones and cowboy hats. When we answered the door, it was my boyfriend and about 8 of his friends. We tried to play it off like we were just playing some guitar hero, but they all just burst out laughing and said they had watched the whole thing through her front window! The end.

If you could be any color crayon, what would you be and why? Dandelion yellow! It’s my favorite color,  and it reminds me of the sun, sunflowers, and happiness. If happy had a color, it would be Dandelion yellow.

What would I find in your refrigerator right now (if you have one)? Water in a Brita water filter pitcher, skim milk, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese, chicken, turkey, eggs, butter, my mom’s homemade pizza sauce, and Dove dark chocolate promises.

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be? Eve. I would go back in time, NOT eat the apple, and viola- world peace.

What is one goal you have set for yourself and achieved? What is one goal that still remains to be achieved? I wanted to graduate valedictorian of my class, which I officially accomplished a day before leaving for Mobile, Alabama! One goal I still have is to get into medical school, complete all of my schooling and training, and become a pediatric psychiatrist. 



Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience. My state program was the first program I went to; the other girls at my local dropped out, so we didn’t get to have a program. My state program was the highlight of my senior year; it was better than soccer sectionals, senior prom - even better than graduation. For a week, I lived with an amazing family (who I still see at least once a week, and who went all the way to Mobile, Alabama, to cheer me on during Nationals!) and my roommate (who happened to be a lot like me!). There were fun activities, practices, talks, lunches, free goodies, but the best part was bonding with all of the other girls. EVERYONE was so nice, and we all got along. I even met my best friend there, and now her and two other girls from my state program are going to be rooming together at Purdue next year!