Get to Know Veronica Townsend - Distinguished Young Woman of Delaware for 2011

Name: Veronica Townsend
Age: 18
Hometown: Dagsboro, Delaware
College: University of Delaware
Major: Fashion Merchandising (Honors)


Favorite food: Spaghetti (with meatballs of COURSE!)
Favorite TV show: American Idol
Favorite movie: Legally Blonde
Favorite Olympic sport: Can we PLEASE bring back baseball/softball? If not, curling, it’s just such a weird concept yet so entertaining!
Favorite Christmas/holiday tradition: Baking Christmas cookies with my grandma
Current #1 most played song on your iPod: Sweet Thing by Keith Urban
Favorite quote: To wish you were someone else is to waste the person that you are.
Most hated household chore: Cleaning my room...being able to see the carpet amidst all of the clothes is soooo overrated.
Favorite time of day: Mealtime…duh.
Favorite time of year: Spring (My birthday is in April!)

Plan ahead OR procrastinate: I like to plan ahead when it comes to things I enjoy, but when it comes to those I don’t? Last minute ALL the way. I’m actually currently procrastinating studying, and that’s why I’m doing this!
Paper OR plastic: It’s fantastic to be plastic!
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty: Half-full; I’m an extremely optimistic person!
Introvert OR extrovert: Extrovert, I tend to be very outgoing and loud!
Cats OR Dogs: Team Canine baby!
Morning person OR night person: Morning person, especially when I have coffee!

If you could be any color crayon, what would you be and why? 
A crayon combining all the glitter in existence – I’m a HUGE fan of anything sparkly!

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you absolutely need for survival? 
Taylor Lautner, a fabulous pair of shoes, and a boat to leave! Why does no one ever think of that?

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be? 
Selena Gomez! Not only is she gorgeous (and the girlfriend of Justin Bieber) and has a fabulous Disney lifestyle, but she is a truly remarkable girl who is involved with charity work and firmly believes in putting others first.

What is one goal you have set for yourself and achieved? What is one goal that still remains to be achieved? 
Ever since I started cheerleading as a young girl, I aspired to take it to the collegiate level. I currently am a member of the first ever All Girl cheerleading squad at the University of Delaware and I love every minute! The next goal I would love to achieve is to be Miss America – dream big, right?

What do you want to be when you grow up and why? 
I would love nothing more than to work in the fashion industry when I grow older. My current goal is to attend law school after receiving my undergraduate degree in fashion merchandising, where I plan on one day representing a fashion company in their legal department. What could be better than making money doing what I love in a fabulous setting?

Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience.
For starters, picking just one moment from my experience in the Distinguished Young Women program is possibly one of the hardest things in the world. Every single aspect of representing my state both locally and at the national level, from appearances all over the place to meeting some truly remarkable people, are memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life. However, if I absolutely had to choose just one, attending the Mardi Gras ball while in Mobile, Alabama was incredibly memorable! Dancing the night away with my newfound distinguished best friends (and handsome southern boys!) after a long week of rehearsal is something I will never forget.