Get to Know Rebecca Mitchell - Distinguished Young Woman of Maryland for 2011

Name: Rebecca Mitchell
Age: 18
Hometown: Ijamsville, Maryland
College: University of South Alabama
Major: Elementary Education



Favorite TV show: Four Weddings
Favorite movie: Miss Congeniality
Favorite Olympic sport: Ice Skating
Current #1 most played song on your iPod: Dirt Road Anthem
Favorite quote: Philippians 4:13

Plan ahead OR procrastinate: Procrastinate!
Paper OR plastic: Paper
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty: Always half-full!!
Introvert OR extrovert: Extrovert
Cats OR Dogs: Dogs—they always know how to make your day!
Morning person OR night person: Morning person, once I can get myself out of bed.

If you could be any color crayon, what would you be and why? Razzmatazz, partly because it’s a really pretty pink and it was created the year I was born, but mostly because it’s so fun to say and it almost requires you to do jazz hands every time you say it!

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be? Cinderella! She has the perfect fairy tale!

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you about college life that you had to find out on your own? Really look for friends who share the same values you have, because they will make your college experience better than you ever thought! Also, free time goes by much faster than you realize-don’t waste it!

What is one goal you have set for yourself and achieved? What is one goal that still remains to be achieved? Thanks to Distinguished Young Women, I have achieved my goal of getting a scholarship! My next goal is to find out exactly what my passion in life is, and find a career that I love.

What do you want to be when you grow up and why? I would love to take over my aunt and uncle’s ice cream shop on our family farm in Delaware. I go up there every summer. The farm is one of my favorite places in the world, and who doesn’t love ice cream? I would also love to write novels and teach violin lessons, because I can make my own schedule and do things that I love.

Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience. It is almost impossible to pick just one moment that was my favorite, but one that’s at the top of my list was performing our final night number at Nationals, “Born This Way.” The energy among all the girls was unbelievable. It was so much fun to get on stage and have a blast on our last night in Mobile. I actually started tearing up at the end of the number because I knew that our performance and that song truly represented the culmination of all our hard work and effort. We were born the way we are, and we were proud of everything we had accomplished by just being ourselves!