Get to Know Ali Houser - Distinguished Young Woman of South Dakota for 2012

Name: Alinia (Ali) Houser
Age: 19
Hometown: Beresford, South Dakota
College: The University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
Major: Dental Hygiene
 

Favorite TV show: Pretty Little Liars & Greek 
Favorite movie: The House Bunny, The Hunger Games, and The Lucky One
Favorite Olympic sport: Swimming (Ryan Lochte & Michael Phelps…Need I say more? ) and gymnastics
Favorite quote: “I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.” –Audrey Hepburn
Favorite time of year: The very beginning of fall when it is still warm outside but the leaves are beginning to change colors!

Plan ahead OR procrastinate: I am definitely trying to be a planner, however, procrastination sometimes thinks he is my best friend and invites himself over unexpectedly.
Paper OR plastic: Reusable-recycling bags! Go green!
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty: I’m definitely a glass half-full kind of girl. Positivity is essential!
Introvert OR extrovert: I am an extrovert for the most part but I feel as though it is important to be a little of both. I love being around people however sometimes a little alone time is good for me as well.
Cats OR Dogs: Puppies and kitties, please.
Morning person OR night person: If I could, I’d probably sleep until noon everyday…does that answer the question?

What is your most embarrassing moment? 

My most embarrassing moment was during my senior year at my high school. At our school, we have an “Agriculture Week” (Let’s not forget I’m from South Dakota) and the FFA students decided to have a “petting zoo.” During choir, we got to go out and see all the animals like chickens, goats, and other farm animals. In a trailer, they had a baby cow. I wanted to see it so I got up into the trailer. A boy in my class thought it would just be hilarious to close the door while I was in there.  Oh man, did I scream and cry! Now, my school isn’t big (about 250 students) but it was pretty embarrassing to have everyone witness this. I got moo-ed at about 100 times that week.

What would I find in your refrigerator right now (if you have one)? 

Apple juice, cheese sticks, and carrots.

What is your biggest fear? 

It’s insane how many fears I have. I am terrified of clowns, rumble strips on the road (the things that tell you to slow down and make your car shake), drowning, being stuck in an elevator, being in a tight space in the dark, spiders, and so much more! I’m such a baby!

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you about college life that you had to find out on your own? 

I wish I knew how much I was going to miss my family and friends. I was so excited to move on into the next chapter of my life but I didn’t realize how much I would miss the people that supported me through the previous one. The college experience has definitely strengthened the relationship between my mom and myself. She is no longer just my mom but she is my best friend as well.

What do you want to be when you grow up and why? 

I want to be happy. As long as I’m happy, everything else will fall into place.

Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience.
I don’t know if I can name one specific favorite moment from my experience with Distinguished Young Women. I have so many amazing memories. One that I just can’t get off my mind, though, is when we went to the Spot of Tea restaurant. David Weincek and Amy E. Goodman came to visit us there. Chandler (RI) was dared to lick his elbow (if someone does this to you, you cannot feel it!) Of course, she did. We laughed hysterically as she casually walked over to him as he talked to another table of girls, bent down, and licked his elbow!! We completely lost it! David was so confused about what everyone was laughing about!! Another memorable moment was definitely watching Norma’s rapping skills on the Has-Beens video! The entire experience changed my life and I will never forget all the wonderful times I had in Mobile!