Get to Know Sierra Terrell - Distinguished Young Woman of Maryland for 2012

Name: Sierra Terrell
Age: 18
Hometown: Waldorf, Maryland
College: Troy University
Major: Psychology

Favorite quote: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we powerful beyond measure.” – Marianne Williamson
Favorite time of year: Spring!
Favorite time of day: Evening/Night time
Most hated household chore: Making my bed
Favorite food: Spaghetti

Plan ahead OR procrastinate: Unfortunately, I have to admit that I tend to procrastinate.
Paper OR plastic: Plastic, I need the handles.
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty: Half-full, of course!
Introvert OR extrovert: Extrovert
Cats OR Dogs: Dogs
Morning person OR night person: Night person

What would I find in your refrigerator right now (if you have one)?
Minute Maid Peach Juice; Minute Maid Watermelon Juice; Powerade; Water; Lunchables; A Jar of Pickles <3

What is your biggest fear?
This is a hard question, but I think one of my biggest fears is that when it is time for me to go be with my savior I realize that I have made little impact on the world and/or the lives of others.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you about college life that you had to find out on your own?
Even though I have only been in college for a little while, I have realized that I am the only one in control of my schedule. So it is completely up to me when and how I will get things done.  Therefore, I wish someone had told me to really focus on time management and becoming my own person.

What is one goal you have set for yourself and achieved? What is one goal that still remains to be achieved?
During high school I was a member of my school’s Poms team, and it was an amazing experience. However, I never had the opportunity to dance with a band. So once I made the decision of attending Troy University, I made the goal of being a member of the dance line on the Sound of the South Marching Band. Fortunately, I was able to achieve that goal and am still enjoying every moment of it currently. One goal that still remains to be achieved is to graduate from college with a degree in Psychology.

Sum yourself up in three words.
Logical, Spontaneous, Understanding

Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience.
Wow, this is an extremely hard question, since there were so many moments that I will cherish forever from my Distinguished Young Women experience. I believe my single-most favorite moment though would have to be during the program to announce the Distinguished Young Woman of Maryland for 2013. Towards the end of the program I walked around on stage with a beautiful white gown on while a farewell speech I had recorded was played. At the end of my speech, I waved to the audience and they actually stood up and clapped for me; even the judges stood and joined in! I was so shocked and couldn’t believe that I, Sierra Terrell, received a standing ovation for simply being me and growing through this program. Then I thought of all the wonderful compliments I have received, especially once I earned the title of Distinguished Young Woman of Maryland for 2012, and realized that it’s time I stop worrying about my “flaws” and enjoy loving and being myself. So yes, just minutes before I became an official “has-been” is when I realized how greatly this program has impacted me and so many other girls. Therefore, that would have to be my single-most favorite moment, the moment that I accepted me for who I am, and who I know I can become.