Get to Know Jordan Orris - Distinguished Young Woman of Nevada for 2012

Name: Jordan Orris   
Age: 18
Hometown: Henderson, NV
College: Auburn University
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies with emphasis on Marketing and Convergence Journalism

Favorite TV show: Gilmore Girls, The West Wing
Favorite movie: Legally Blonde
Favorite Olympic sport: Gymnastics
Current #1 most played song on your iPod: “Stole My Heart” by One Direction
Favorite quote: “What are you going to do with your one wild and precious life?”- Mary Oliver

Plan ahead OR procrastinate: plan ahead
Paper OR plastic: paper
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty: glass half-full
Introvert OR extrovert: extrovert
Cats OR Dogs: dogs
Morning person OR night person: night person

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you absolutely need for survival? 

My Bible, my family (in spanish, it is referred to as one item :); and a mirror to start a fire

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional. with whom would it be? 

Princess Kate! I absolutely love her style, and she has such great poise; and really seems to have such empathy for the people she meets and helps.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you about college life that you had to find out on your own? 

Learn to be self-sufficient with your cleaning, cooking, and laundry!

Sum yourself up in three words. 

Driven, passionate, and bubbly.

What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
My dream job is to be the White House Press Secretary; or I secretly dream of playing Belle from Beauty & The Beast on the Disney Cruise

Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience.
Well, absolutely meeting all of the girls for the first time. I came to the competition a little late due to my graduation, so I was nervous about meeting the girls, who had already had three days to bond. So, much to my surprise, when I introduced myself at the Kiwanis Luncheon my first day, I was met with applause and cheers! It was such a great welcome from my new sisters. Another great moment was the sheer surprise and gratitude I felt when it was announced that I had received the Wintzell’s “My Town” award!