Get to Know Christina Maxwell - Distinguished Young Woman of America for 2012


Name: Christina Maxwell
Age: 18
Hometown: Asheville, North Carolina
College: University of Michigan
Major: majoring in Musical Theatre, hoping to minor in Writing

Favorite food:  I absolutely love trying new foods and haven’t found many I don’t like!  But I love comfort food, Thai and Indian food and sushi.
Favorite movie: The Help
Current #1 most played song on your iPod: “That’s Why I Pray” by Big and Rich
Favorite quote:  “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs.  Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go and do that.  Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Thurman
Favorite time of year:  Right when it begins to turn from summer to fall

Plan ahead OR procrastinate:  Plan ahead.  My schedule is so crazy in college that I oftentimes have to plan my days out ahead of time, down to the minute!
Paper OR plastic:  Plastic
Glass half-full OR glass half-empty:  Definitely half-full
Introvert OR extrovert:  Extrovert!  But, I also love having quiet time to myself when I can recharge and reflect.
Cats OR Dogs:  Dogs
Morning person OR night person:  Night person

What is your most embarrassing moment? 

I have so many!  One of the top ones was in high school when our football team won a huge game.  Everyone decided to rush the field and I thought I should live on the edge and join them!  I ran to the fence, all excited, and tried to climb over it and got stuck on top of the fence.  I, of course, got caught and never lived it down!

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you absolutely need for survival? 

My bible, coffee and a strong and brave friend!

What is your biggest fear?
Not using my gifts and talents to their greatest potential and realizing at the end that I didn’t pursue my purpose with all of my heart and strength.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you about college life that you had to find out on your own?
It is ok to say “no” to the many activities going on in college without feeling guilty about it.  So much of college is about prioritizing time and you ultimately have to say “no” to good things!  You should never feel guilty for turning down an invitation to do something when you need the time to get your work done or to relax.

Sum yourself up in three words.

Bubbly, determined and compassionate.

Describe your single-most favorite moment from your Distinguished Young Women experience.
This is the hardest question in the world.  I could write a whole book of favorite moments from Distinguished Young Women!  But, my absolute favorite has to be one that occurred at the local, state and national level: the remarkable people I have met.  This program seems to be a magnet for people who are full of contagious purpose, compassion, brilliance and dedication – both the participants and the incredible adults who make the programs happen.  I made countless dear friends who I know I will remain close with throughout my life, from my precious host families to the dedicated chairmen and committee members to the amazing young women I shared this experience with.  I learned so much from the young women I met through this program.  It is absolutely priceless to have a network of girls all across the country who share the same level of passion and purpose and can encourage each other as we go through the same big life changes at the same time.  When I think of all of the people who have made this journey such a transformational one, I am so overwhelmed with what an immense blessing the people of the Distinguished Young Women program are.